Sunday, August 1, 2010

Refrigerator Poetry

So, today's post is just some fun poetry stuff. Nothing deep, no big updates on my life or anything like that, though I'm sure another post will soon be forthcoming for all you stalkers out there who like to keep up with what I eat for breakfast. ;-P

Awhile back, a friend of mine gave me a set of refrigerator word magnets, all made up of words from Shakespeare. I decided to create a challenge for myself: Write poetry using only the words provided. The result is some interesting, albeit somewhat oddly worded, free verse poetry currently displayed on my fridge. All poetry is by me except the second line in "Shakespeare I", which appeared on the fridge while I was away, and I'm not sure which family member is responsible for it, but I liked it, so I left it there.


Unfortunately, there's no punctuation included in the set, other than one lone exclamation point that I found, so I'll post each poem's picture individually, followed by the written version with punctuation.

"Shakespeare I"

Arise, amorous blaze, consume!

Thereby two live, as in the dream.

His lover from paradise,
   She smote him again;
One brief tempest,
   Yet who hast her appetite?

By light you compare
     Silver, gold, or treasure.

You fly
     to new hearts,
Pursue a perfect woman,
     Call for blood;
She sought danger well.

"Shakespeare II"

Adoration hath drowsy pleasure,
   Simple laughter
       above sparkling wine.

I enchant the sun,
   But secretly adore the moon,
Till none other have beauty.

We write fantasy,
   Cherish ecstasy,
      Devour folly,
         Taste loveliness,
            Sing of joy,
               And hold radiant life.

"Shakespeare III"

Ah!
   Stay, sweet love!
I seek God;
Delight thyself in 
     passion.

Precious wretch,
Grace eternal for thy sin,
As man without torment did fall.
Remedy their cold plight,
Fill me,
Satisfy us,
Take this soul.

There are definitely some things I'd change, but this is what first came to my mind, and what's currently on my fridge, and I feel like it would be cheating to go in and change it now. Well, I did take the line 'satisfy us' out of "Shakespeare III" on the fridge, so that one's not there anymore... But these are the originals, so... Hope you enjoy! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

Love and hugs!
--Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks! ^_^
    (No one ever comments on my blog, so I really appreciate that. :-D)

    ReplyDelete