Monday, January 3, 2011

Typography Win!

I've wanted to do typography for ages, but I never felt like I had the time. Well, the other day I decided to just go ahead and try my best, even though I have no clue what I'm doing. I've made three pieces so far, and for a beginner/amateur/novice/etc., I think they turned out pretty darn good. ^_^ They're all lyrics so far, but I'll probably do some nice epic quotes and stuff, too. :D There's a typography guy on Tumblr called TypeJerk, and I'm gonna ask him to critique them. I know they aren't the best ever, since I just started, but I figure I'll get some good tips and stuff. Gah! Typography is so much fun! Even though it does take several hours to do one piece. Whatever. Here's what I have so far!
(Oh, yeah, and I have a Tumblr now. O_o You can follow me here: wishfulcakewordplay.tumblr.com

These are in reverse-chronological order, since I like the last one I did best, and the first one I did, least. Of course. :P

Who Killed Tangerine?

































So, I realize this one's a bit morbid, lol. The song is "Who Killed Tangerine" by Tears For Fears. This piece is my favorite so far because it's supposed to look like a knife stabbing a tangerine, which is bleeding. And it actually does look like that. Ergo, I am pleased. :D
"Who killed Tangerine? The prettiest girl I've ever seen."

Beautiful Disaster


































This one took the longest to put together. I used a typeface called "the King & Queen font" to create the tiara.  It was constructed entirely of pieces of characters in that typeface. I put it together using individual curls from various letters that worked for what I wanted. Very time consuming, but totally worth it in the end. :D
The lyrics are from Beautiful Disaster by Jon McLaughlin. It’s sort of how I feel about my seventeenth year of life. I’ll be 18 in a couple of weeks, so this is my tribute to 17, I guess. :-]


6 Months

My absolute very first typography piece. It was fairly simple to make and didn't take as much time as either of the other two. Relatively simple, but I like it. For my first try, I think it's pretty respectable. :P

Let me know what you think! I'd love any comments/critiques/constructive criticism/etc.! ^_^

Love and hugs!
--Sarah


P.S. Oh! I almost forgot! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! <3

2 comments: